Wailers Vertical Challenge Fundraiser
What’s more fun than skiing or boarding?
Skiing or boarding for a good cause!
The Wailers Vertical Challenge Ski-A-Thon combines our love of winter sports with fundraising for a worthy charity organization - The Mammoth Lakes Foundation - and a portion of the proceeds will help to cover club event and operating costs.
This high profile event will take place on Saturday, March 9th, during the Wailers Mammoth Bus Trip #4. You do not need to be on the bus trip to be a fundraising superhero! Members and non-members alike are invited to participate and you don't even need to be present at the event to lend a hand to the cause. All you have to do is join a team and you'll have a chance to compete for prizes!
ABOUT MAMMOTH LAKES FOUNDATION
Mammoth Lakes Foundation (MLF) was started by Dave McCoy, founder of Mammoth Mountain Ski Area, in 1989. Together with his wife Roma and friends, they established the organization with the mission to support higher education and cultural enrichment in the Eastern Sierra region. As a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, MLF provides full-tuition scholarships, book stipends, mentoring, and other support to qualified local students who wish to pursue a degree or certificate from the Mammoth campus of Cerro Coso Community College. MLF also provides transfer scholarships for outstanding graduates who wish to pursue a 4-year degree. Currently, MLF is in construction on a 250-seat auditorium that is slated for completion in 2025.
HOW DOES THE SKI-A-THON WORK?
Participants can enter as an individual or as part of a 4-person team. Prior to the event, each participant will be charged with gathering pledges from their network of friends, family and followers (and beyond). Donations will be determined by the value of vertical feet (VF) covered - in increments of 1,000 VF - as tracked through the IKON or Mammoth Mountain mobile app. For example:
You receive a pledge of $3 (Per 1,000 VF) and you ski/ride 10,000 VF during the challenge. That would result in a $30 donation from your pledgor. EASY PEASY! NOTE: We will cap the VF at 20,000 so donors can be assured that their commitment does not go beyond that maximum amount. We also accept fixed dollar donations in lieu of pledges.
That said, all snow riders are encouraged to carve the snow to their heart's content - because there will be an exciting prize for the most vertical feet covered during the event.
-- AND GREAT NEWS --
You don't have to be on the snow to be a fundraising hero!
Join a 4-person team to help raise funds and let another team
members lead the charge on making tracks.
- You may participate as an individual or as part of a 4-person team.
- Team Captains are required to do the skiing or boarding while tracking their VF during the challenge for the team.
- Other teammates can opt to physically participate in the challenge or not. As a matter of fact, you don't even have to join us in Mammoth to be part of a successful team. The main priority is to help with fundraising efforts.
- Our fundraising goals are: $250 per individual or $1,000 per team collectively.
- You are still eligible to win prizes if your team wins even if you aren't able to attend. How cool is that?
That's right - there will be prizes, prizes, and more prizes! From top fundraisers to best costume, there's a prize category for everyone.
- 8:30 AM - 10:00 AM: Check-in and continental breakfast; warm-up runs welcome
- 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM: Challenge kick-off with shotgun start from Main Lodge. Challenge ends and vertical count stops promptly at 3:00 PM.
- 3:00 PM: Participants/teams report VF totals to event organizers. Only feet tracked in the mobile app will be considered and we will round up/down to the nearest 1,000 VF.
- 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Après ski party where prizes will be awarded.
I'M IN! WHAT'S NEXT?
You must register for this event directly - it is a separate registration from the Wailers Bus Trip registration.
- Decide if you want to be part of a 4-person team or if you want to register as an individual. Remember: our fundraising goals are $250 per person and $1,000 collectively for a team.
- Each person must register, even if part of a 4-person team.
- After you register, follow the instructions on the registration confirmation email to setup your individual or team pledge page.
- Share your fundraising page through your social media channels. Invite your family, friends, colleagues, and social networks to support this worthy cause!
- Lift tickets are not included. Each participant can purchase their tickets directly from Mammoth Mountain. For best pricing, purchase tickets before March 2, 2024.
- For the $25 registration fee, you will receive:
- Racing bib
- Continental breakfast
- Commemorative t-shirt (if registered by 2/9. You can register as an individual and then join a team later if you wish)
- Goody bag
- Chances to win prizes, including
- 3-night stay in Mammoth condo ($750 value)
- Wailers' Mammoth Bus Trip ($495 Value)
- Wave Rave swag
- Signed copy of "Tracks of Passion" leather bound collector's book
- Restaurant gift cards
- MORE PRIZES ADDED EVERY WEEK! Stay tuned!
As the Wailers home-base mountain, we are very passionate
about this opportunity to give back to the community through
Mammoth Lakes Foundation. We hope you will join us today and become a celebrated fundraising hero!